Restorations 2017-01-18T07:59:14+00:00

Restorations

St Peter’s, consecrated in July 1868, watching over the harbour, was built to bring the church to the fishing community and people living on the East Cliff. Included in a last view of England by many soldiers departing during the First World War, St Peter’s was a welcoming view for those who returned, and for the passengers coming into Folkestone Harbour in the days of the ferries. Today it overlooks the festivities and new developments taking place across the harbour district and continues to keep a watch over the fishing fleet as the boats leave and return to port.

Being perched high on a cliff over the harbour has its price, however, leaving the Church exposed to the storms, winds and rains over the last 150 years, including the 1987 hurricane. In addition the Church was directly in the firing line during the Second World War and received significant damage. Further damage was received during a major fire in 1996 and during the small earthquakes which periodically rock Folkestone, the most recent being in 2007.

This cumulative wear and tear, received over many decades, has resulted in serious damage to the roof, Belcote, Flèche, windows and other fabric of the Church for which it is now on the “Heritage at Risk” register of English Heritage. In order to meet the challenges presented by the required repairs, we are in the middle of an urgent and extensive renovation to much of the Church.

 awarded Heritage Lottery Funding

The Heritage Lottery Fund Restoration Project

We are delighted to have been awarded Heritage Lottery Funding of up to £169,000 from the Grants for Places of Worship Scheme. This scheme provides very welcome funding towards urgent repair work to the fabric of Churches, where they are otherwise in danger of falling down. The grant has been granted to help us meet a comprehensive plan of repairs to the fabric of the church and the development of a wider public engagement strategy to meet the needs of this community. It covers about 75% of the estimated project cost, leaving the Church to raise the final 25% from other sources, in order to execute repairs that we estimate will cost £224,940

Works under the Grants for Places of Worship Scheme fall into two stages. Stage One: the Investigative Works. Under this phase, initial funding is granted to execute exploratory work to ascertain the full extent of damage. This then enables architects plans to be drawn up in preparation for the main restoration work to be carried out. If the plans pass the necessary assessment, this work is then carried out under Stage Two, the Delivery Works.

The Heritage Lottery Fund Restoration Project

We estimated that the total cost of the project is expected to be about £224,940 leaving about 25% to be raised from other sources.

How You Can Help

If you are able to help us towards meeting the cost of this urgent work, then please post your donation to:
St. Peter’s PCC
The Vicarage
North Street, Folkestone
Kent, CT19 6AL
United Kingdom
With our grateful thanks.

Restorations works at St.Peter

Renovations Galleries

Acknowledging Our Benefactors